Monday, April 23, 2007

Response to Will

Will's post on his daughter's conversation about "Pokinitis" was very cute during my first read through. It seems like she is the type of child who is motivated and can actually enjoy talking to her parents...rare these days. In the larger scheme of things, the fact that Will recommended to make a book, then to make it available to people on bookshelves, then to make it as a movie to podcast and show all around the world illustrates the mediums by which students are capable of communicating. Heck, if a young child can do this at home, it can certainly be done in school.
For ELA teachers, this means that we have to give our students the opportunity to do these types of things: mass communication through technology applications. If we do, we are opening them up to an aspect of ELA that I think it particularly important: publication.
For the next generation, seeing the product (end result) of your work is going to be the motivator to keep doing things.

I also found Will's other post on his life very interesting. It was called "Playing With My Kids," and I was so happy to read this post. I had, for a while, thought that Will Richardson was just a bit too obsessed with the blogging thing. Well, it seems like maybe he was. Now he sees other things in his life prioritizing.

Will said something that I have believed to be so true, but people have resisted me: "I really marvel at the people who can continuously carve out the necessary hours every day to write and comment and continue the discussion. And it is great discussion and thinking that’s moving at such a fast pace that it’s getting really hard to keep up with. I have learned a lot. But let’s face it, there are, many more important things out there than Web logs. And I think I need to take back some of that perspective."

In response to this post, I have always thought about people who are not directly involved with blogging everyday. Actually, there are a lot more people out there than some think. And they are not obsessed with globalization, and they go on and perform their daily rituals and do things that are meaningful to them...none of which involve a blog. Will has realized that there are other things more important than telling everyone what you are doing every second of the day...like playing with your kids, making a cup of coffee yourself, washing your own car, talking to someone face to face, and the list goes on. I loved hearing this from the blog-guru. Yes, he is human! So, although Friedman may focus on the whole globalization of the U.S., sometimes it is important to take a step back and say, "what is really important here?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Staci,
While I was reading "Pokinitis," I was thinking the same thing: If kids can do this at home we should be able to do this in school. Our students will come into our class knowing how to create movies or podcasts, and we must allow them to do this in our class. I agree with your idea of having students see the end product of their work, and I think that we must encourage the use of technology to do so.

Jami said...

I could really see this happening more often now that more possibilities are open for publication. In my blog, I mentioned how, when I was in elementary school, each student would create their own writings and then submit them to publish in our own personal books. I still cherish the item, even though I can't even spell "dog" correctly, but it's just something to have that I completed. I'm sure students would feel the same way, and they'd actually work toward creating something that is meaningful and relevant to their own lives. Hm...

Barb Hollings said...

Staci,

Beautifully stated! I definately agree with you. There is more to life than just blogging! Since my mom died last year, I have found myself devoting more time to my dad, and what remains of my family. Granted, my dad loves to work with his computer and he sends me e-mail photos all the time, yet even he realizes he has a life to live with plenty of places to visit and plenty of people to stay in touch with. My priorities, just like his have changed, I feel, for the good.