Sunday, May 6, 2007

Student Arrested for Obscene Essay

Allen Lee, a senior in Cary-Grove High School in CHicago, was arrested in school after his administration got hold of an essay he wrote in English class. According to Lee, his class was told to free write for 30 minutes with anything that came to mind. "She told us to exaggerate our feelings," so Lee did.

See the assignment
See the assignment


Some of the controversial material includes the following:

"My current English teacher is a control freak intent on setting a gap between herself and her students"
"Drugs Drugs Drugs are fun. Stab, Stab, Stab, S. . .t. . .a. . .b. . . , poke. So I had this dream last night where I went into a building, pulled out two P90s and started shooting everyone . . ., then had sex with the dead bodies. Well, not really, but it would be funny if I did."
"No quarrel on you qualifications as a writer, but as a teacher, don't be surprised on inspiring the first cg [Cary-Grove] shooting."

Allen Lee
Allen Lee


Lee claims that he did nothing wrong; he simply followed the assignment.

Lee had already applied for the Marine Corp. and received admission, but after this ordeal, the Marine Corp. dropped his spot.

The school arrested him and
"He was charged with two counts of disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor that carries up to 30 days in jail and a $1,500 fine."

Personally, I believe that the true problem is not the teacher but the student. A student who has these thoughts, I feel, is bothered. Even if he is trying to "exaggerate" his feelings, he went over-board.

I feel as though I would not know what to do as a teacher in this situation. I want to incorporate creative writing and free writing in my class, but this event just shows how it could turn sour.

What do you all think is the main problem?

2 comments:

administrator said...

I read about this too, and it's really tough to determine the right way to handle it. We want to encourage free writing with our students, yet we have a responsibility to report violent and disturbed messages/signs for the safety of the student in question and other students around him or her. In light of the VATech tragedy, I think that we will be hearing much more about such dillemmas.

Staci said...

Savanna-
I think you're right. this is just the beginning, although we have heard of it before. I truly think that some action needs to take place. Administrators! Yoo hoo! Wake up!