Monday, February 26, 2007

RSS Feeds

An RSS feed links people together by showing them the latest content on such media as blogs, podcasts, etc.

I use a few RSS feeds just on this blog...people around the world can see my new content as it is blogged, view who has seen my blog recently, view my pictures and my profile, and view my "delicious" sites.

I also subscribe to 43things.com, where people can see the latest feeds on my interests/life goals.

In the classroom, I can see RSS feeds being used in a number of ways. First of all, isn't the classroom environment an RSS feed in itself? Students learn from each other, the teacher gives new information as she sees it, and the students can interact.

The teacher could also give students the opportunity to create their own blogs, which would serve as an RSS feed. The students can also use social bookmarkings as RSS feeds.

2 comments:

Jami said...

Hey,
Have you actually checked out 43things.com? I know we gave the presentation last class, but I am curious if other have actually went on to check it out.

I think it would be really interesting to use in the classroom because it's very different from what typical classrooms are using, and it's a public source where they can communicate with one another. Good thoughts.

Barb Hollings said...

"First of all, isn't the classroom environment an RSS feed in itself? Students learn from each other, the teacher gives new information as she sees it, and the students can interact."

I love this comment from your post. It really helps to clarify what an RSS feed is. It's easy to envision a classroom with students learning and interacting with each other. Thank you Stacy for a great analogy!