Sunday, February 11, 2007

"The Machine Is Us"

On the youtube.com video, digital literacy was defined as expanding a world from html to xml. Xml allows for more people to link information together and have it instantly available.

The world that the youtube.com video showed is a world that connects people and information in the blink of an eye. It says we have to rethink how we do everything we have ever known...our family, ethics, governance, PRIVACY.

This part concerns me. Do I want the world knowing exactly what I am doing, what I am thinking, all the time? Right now, the answer is 'no.' I do not want to share that much of myself with people I do not know. That is why I am not an avid believer of myspace and other digital communities.

I understand what xml is trying to do and what is has already done. We talked about this topic of a changing world last class, and I had some resistance to it. I am just not comfortable with giving myself to the internet and allowing people in 'OshKosh' to know information about me that is private or personal.

Some people enjoy this type of freedom. They think it is an experience to have other people linked directly to them. Where if I press one button, I get 100 more hits of a related topic.

I like it for some of its advantages; speed, level of information, abundance.

But I am not taken by it. I especially do not like the idea that "the macine is us." Never did I think in my lifetime I would become a robot. And I do not want to become a robot. That is why I resist through it. If I can savor part of what I believe is genuine, then I will.

Touchy subject...

No comments: