Sunday, February 11, 2007

Reality Check

In my observation experience this semester, I have found a strange dichotomy between the world inside our 307 classroom and the world inside a high school classroom. My ninth graders range in writing skills, but most of them can convey their ideas in a somewhat decent manner.

In a recent assignment, my host teacher asked my students to write about what they would do if they won a million dollars.

Some of the responses were quite funny. Some students wanted to get in good with the teacher, so they have her $50,000. Others, though, had strange understandings of a million dollars. I had some responses of buying countries and other extroadinary things that certainly exceed one million dollars hands down. These kids did not understand the meaning of money. This got me thinking. The kids are not in touch with reality. At 14, I would think most teenagers would know what a million dollars could get you (within reason. Obviously they don't have jobs or pay taxes yet). I felt that some students do not know how to function in the real world because they live inside this "other" realm. And a lot of this realm is defined by technology and brain-sucking video games.

Almost every boy's response had to do with buying video games. It amazed me! These kids are entertained by a false world, and yes, it is okay if they control the amount and type of games they play. But I can bet they have no monitor.

I just feel these kids are out of touch with a world that is not completely taken over my robots yet, but they are already missing the important parts of life, such as how to function in a world that will take advantage of their ignorance.

1 comment:

Kris Mark said...

Hey Staci,

Well, this certainly sounds interesting! At 14, these students (as you have said) should have a good concept about money and know a bit about what's going on outside of school. I could not agree more that student's live in their own little world which consists of: IM's, facebook, myspace, video games, and playful websites. It is really scary about much the younger generations are out of tune with what is going on in the world.

Like you and I have agreed before: yes technology has it's benefits, but from what I see, it is destructing the minds of the younger ones. I found this to my suprise as well: before my geology class began, I looked around the room just to see what was going on. At least 6 students were reading a book, including me, 7. It is our generation that needs to influence the younger ones about reading for pleasure instead of sitting in front of a computer all of the time. I wonder what health officials have to say about that!