Monday, February 19, 2007

Matching the Standards

The NCTE English Language Arts standards are quite similar to the PLS standards. For example

"Students read a wide range of print and non-print texts to build an understanding of texts, of themselves, and of the cultures of the United States and the world; to acquire new information; to respond to the needs and demands of society and the workplace; and for personal fulfillment. Among these texts are fiction and nonfiction, classic and contemporary works"

is just like the PLS standard that proclaims

"
Media literacy is essential for the development of informed, reflective and active citizens in a democratic society."

Both of these standards show that literacy is about expanding a person's knowledge and understanding about the society around them so that they can be more effective citizens and individuals.

The NCTE standard that says

"Students apply a wide range of strategies to comprehend, interpret, evaluate, and appreciate texts. They draw on their prior experience, their interactions with other readers and writers, their knowledge of word meaning and of other texts, their word identification strategies, and their understanding of textual features (e.g., sound-letter correspondence, sentence structure, context, graphics)"

is also like the PLS standard that says

"Media Literacy teaches critical thinking skills such as understanding bias and credibility through rigorous analysis of appropriate media documents."

Both of these standards show that critical analysis skills are used whether through media literacy or any other type of literacy.

Overall, the standards between the NCTE and the PLS principles are all interrelated because they are all aimed at improving the lives of students. When the standards are built upon a constructivist, educationally sound pedagogy, then the directions and aims of the administrators and "higher ups" will all be similar.

7 comments:

Kris Mark said...

Hey Staci,

I know that you aren't 100% for technology in the classroom - so in regards to Hobbs' research, how do you feel about media being placed into the curriculum? I have no intention on making my classroom all based on techonolgy, but I think this media idea is pretty interesting. I think students that used to dred going to English class may actually enjoy it now. The media is a huge social network that will pull students in right away. What do you think?

Staci said...

kris,
i would have to say that certain curriculum ideas centered around technology would be beneficial to my students, especially if the activity allowed students to analyze media literacy. Take Broadcast Journalism for example, or any other tech-based class. Students would be using technology, but also learning how to use critical analysis when viewing and using the technology. This idea I am all for...

administrator said...

Staci-
Could you tell me how you got those pictures from flickr up on your site? I've been trying to find the code all over!

Thanks!

Staci said...

savanna-
sure! just call me or IM me and ill let you know. it is basically just like the other social bookmarkings, where you type in the code to the blogger html page.

Staci said...

savanna-
sure! just call me or IM me and ill let you know. it is basically just like the other social bookmarkings, where you type in the code to the blogger html page.

Anonymous said...

Staci, your blog looks great.

I have a question for you and Kris--why would we privilege one "medium," for example, print texts, and especially particular genres of print texts, over any other in a 3.0 world??

This is a question I have been asking for some time now. I wonder what you think.

Staci said...

The privileges I give to one "medium" over another "medium" depends on my goals for the classroom. I do not believe they are "privileges" as much as it is the amount of time spent using each one. I will not denounce the use of a certain "medium," but I may choose to use one more than the other.
The goal for my classroom will tell me which "medium" I choose to use more. The students will have the opportunity to see the best of both worlds, and I will allow them the creative freedom to work with both in a number of ways.